Re: Empty comparison windows

Any suggestions for what they can try for getting some more information?  I had one of them try running with python instead of pythonw and the output he got is below.  It sounds from the message below that it might be an issue with the font not having the glyphs to support the characters used by the system locale.  But if that were the case, you'd think only some characters wouldn't be rendered.  Sorry, I'm not familiar with how GTK handles localization bindings.
F:\lm\meld\meld-1.8.3\Meld>python\App\python.exe meld\bin\meld
F:\lm\meld\meld-1.8.3\Meld\meld\meld\meldwindow.py:226: PangoWarning: couldn't l
oad font "瀹嬩綋 9", falling back to "Sans 9", expect ugly output.
  self.widget.show()
F:\lm\meld\meld-1.8.3\Meld\meld\meld\meldwindow.py:226: PangoWarning: couldn't l
oad font "瀹嬩綋 Not-Rotated 9", falling back to "Sans Not-Rotated 9", expect ug
ly output.
  self.widget.show()
F:\lm\meld\meld-1.8.3\Meld\meld\meld\meldwindow.py:641: Warning: g_object_set_qd
ata: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
  self.notebook.remove_page(page_num)
meld\bin\meld:167: GtkWarning: gdkdrawable-win32.c:2013 drawable is not a pixmap
 or window
  gtk.main()
F:\lm\meld\meld-1.8.3\Meld\meld\meld\task.py:114: Warning: g_object_set_qdata: a
ssertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
  ret = task()
-Keegan

On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 4:33 PM, Kai Willadsen <kai willadsen gmail com> wrote:
On 31 December 2013 03:16, Keegan Witt <keeganwitt gmail com> wrote:
> I've had three people report getting empty comparison windows.  Both with
> directory and text comparisons.  I've not been able to reproduce this (but
> my system is configured as EN US), but it seems like a system (possibly GTK)
> configuration problem.  Both users were using Chinese locale I believe.  Has
> anyone run into this before?  I'm not sure what to suggest.  One of the
> users reported that he was able to get Meld to work when he set environment
> variable LANG=en_US.

I haven't seen this before, and setting LANG=zh_CN.utf8 works fine for
me here. Without some kind of traceback this is *very* difficult to do
anything about.

We do some horrible things to try and get translation domains bound in
the main bin/meld script, and it wouldn't surprise me if there were
ways in which that failed horribly. On the other hand, I have no idea
why it would only fail for Chinese locales.

cheers,
Kai