Re: Colours!

Kai Willadsen <kai.willadsen <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I've just pushed a branch of Meld that reworks our colour handling. In
> the past, we (very inconsistently) took colours from the preferences.
> This didn't work very well, and many colours were hard-coded besides.
>
> The branch I've just pushed takes all colours from a gtkrc file. The
> big advantage of this is that it allows theme authors (and
> enthusiastic users) to tweak Meld's colour scheme to their liking. I'm
> hoping that this will be a big plus for lovers of dark themes. Note
> that directory and VC comparisons now use *blue* to indicate changed
> files rather than red, which is now used for conflicts. This change
> makes the meaning of colours consistent between folder, file and VC
> comparisons.
>
> If you regularly use a dark GTK theme, please try out this branch!
>
> It will look just as bad at first, but tweaking the colours in
> data/gtkrc should allow you to fix it better than you could
> previously. If you find you can't make relevant changes, then please
> let me know. Even better, if anyone wants to have a go at making this
> work better out-of-the-box for dark themes, then please do.
>
> This isn't the end of colour-related changes. Meld's default colours
> will get a bit of a facelift soon, including a likely change to inline
> highlighting (no more red-on-blue!) and some additional tweaks (see
> bug 671275 for one set of possibilities).
>
> cheers,
> Kai

Hi,

I am using CentOS 6 with Gnome 2 and my theme is dark. I use Shiki Colors Brave
with custom background set to dark grey and my foreground is almost white.

Until recently I was using Meld 1.5.3 with custom modified preferences.py that
was not working very good; still better then nothing.

I would like to help with this if I can, I do not speak Python ;-) should not be
that difficult.

Can you please point me in the right direction. I do not see your commit, after
cloning the meld repository. There are overall only four branches. I do not see
your commit from Sep 4. A few words about how colors work, where are defaults
and what is the idea would be very helpful.

Cheers,
Dragan