Re: Problem with meld detecting changes in Fortran files

On 5 May 2011 03:46, Fabien <marbolangos gmail com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> first thing I am sorry for the file which is with variables nearly
> impossible to read but I extracted a tiny part of a source code which is not
> public.
>
> I have an issue which occurs everytime I have to modify a Fortran 77 to
> Fortran 90 file by using meld. It seems that, depending on the length of the
> file, meld is lost and detects differences at some places where no
> differences are. For more clarity i attach 2 files and a screenshot.

I can't imagine why you'd only see this problem with Fortran files...
presumably there's something about the pattern of the content which
causes the old inline highlighter to choke.

> The only modification between the two files are the continuation symbols
> which are at the column 73 for .f90 files and 6 for .f files. You can see
> that the definition of dl_gggggg_val gives differences (see screenshot) for
> many values whereas there is no difference. This behaviour is reproducible
> on many files I had edited and I wanted to submit to the bugzilla if it is
> really a bug.
>
> The version I am using is from Fedora 14 64 bits: meld-1.3.2-1.fc14.noarch

I can reproduce your problem with Meld 1.4.0. However, it seems to be
fixed in 1.5.0 (or later). Could you please check out something more
recent (ideally git HEAD) and see whether you can still reproduce the
bug?

> Also, in the screenshot you can see at the bottom right the number of
> columns and lines which is not readable. I believe it can be tweaked but I
> did not find it.

The status bar is still a pain point, but I think the default size is
now better... more work is required though.

> Thanks for this wonderful software that saved me thousands of hours of time.

Nice to hear that it helps!

cheers,
Kai