Re: Cursors and keyboards

On 3 March 2010 22:44, Piotr Piastucki <leech miranda gmail com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am sending a small patch that fixed the behaviour of the Push/Pull buttons
> in the auto merge mode when only the middle pane is editable.

Great, thanks.

> To be frank, I am not fully convinced all 4 buttons are really needed.
> Personally, I would keep only Pull ones to make the UI look more tidy.

So I agree that these buttons are probably not needed. They're there
at the moment just to show the existence of the feature, and I don't
know if we need any of the buttons at all in the long run.

> In
> this case the user will be able to modify the pane where the cursor is, no
> need to think what button to click.

Right. The benefit of having the push/pull action pairs is for
keyboard use. You can, for example, do a simple merge without leaving
the middle pane or using the mouse.

> I was thinking about adding new toolbar
> buttons that will merge all non-conflicting changes from one file to the
> other, but having another set of 4 buttons would make the UI really
> difficult to use.

Unfortunately, I agree. However, when I was addng the menu items I
wondered whether it might be sensible to split merging actions and the
like into a separate menu. If there were to be some UI rearrangement,
it's possible that another menu would make room for your auto-merge
buttons. This probably needs some thought however.

cheers,
Kai