Re: [feature request] consider .rsync-filter files

2010/8/16 Raphaël Droz <raphael droz gmail com>:
> Hi,
> let me thank you a lot for meld,
> it's a hardly replaceable software. I mainly use it for VCS repositories but
> also to diff/merge rsync backups.
> In this case, the missing thing is an option to make meld considering the
> .rsync-filter files that rsync interprets with -F.

I've seen requests for this kind of functionality before, though I
think that this is the first time rsync has been mentioned. The gist
is: it would be nice to support <insert tool here>'s method of
ignoring files. That's totally reasonable, but unfortunately our
filter system just isn't built to do it at the moment. There's no code
available for this, but I think this is a great use case for a plugin
system.

> The would reduce the useful different files that change between two backups.
> Though I don't know how "low-level" this ability has to be implemented (it
> may prove useful for diff, or for duplicity also)
> The .rsync-filter file format doesn't seem too complex but the directories
> exclusion/inclusion priorities tweaks it implies may sometimes be tricky.
> I'm sorry not being able to help you further in attempting an
> implementation, but I send the request anyway.

Could you file this in bugzilla? That way, even if it doesn't happen
straight away, at least it won't get lost.

cheers,
Kai