Re: meld filename scans entire tree

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 11:02 PM, Kai Willadsen <kai willadsen gmail com> wrote:
> On 22 April 2010 03:51, Grant Edwards <grant b edwards gmail com> wrote:
>> Recently I noticed that I can no longer look at the changes I've made
>> to a single file under SVN control by doing "meld filename".  I swear
>> that used to just show me the changes for the specified file.
>
> Do you mean that this doesn't work, or that it does work, but also
> uselessly scans the directory tree? From my testing, this works in git
> (modulo the scanning).

I also see the behavior Kai describes - "meld $FILE" works as
expected, it just unnecessarily scans the rest of the repository.

>> Now it
>> goes ahead on its own and scans the entire directory tree underneath
>> the current directory.
>
> As far as I can tell, Meld has always done this.
>
> The problem is that viewing differences of a single file under VC is
> hacked on to the existing version control view. What we actually do
> when asked to view a single file from the command line is open (but
> not display) a version control tab, fully populate it, and ask it to
> launch a comparison of the file we actually wanted in the first place.
>
> I don't think we can just not populate the view and still have things
> work, but it shouldn't be that hard to add a new pathway to VcView to
> initiate a single file comparison.

Would it be sufficient to not call _search_recursively_iter() in
meld/vcview.py:_set_location() when a file was given on the command
line?  A quick test indicates it gives the desired result, but the
flow of a single file diff is difficult for me to wrap my head around
and its unclear if this is the "right" way to fix it (ie, its probably
not:).  I'll send a patch with my workaround for review.

Peter