Source control: Scanning for changes

Hi,

If I'm in a directory managed by source control and I type 'meld .' at
the command line, I find that meld seems to scan the entire directory
structure (starting from the repo root even if I'm in a subdirectory)
looking for changes. Two questions:

1) Why does meld scan from root every time? Should it not just scan
starting from the directory it was invoked from?
2) Why does meld manually scan for changes when it can rely on the
source control itself (e.g. svn st or hg st) to get a list of files?

I'm just curious if there are good reasons for these behaviours. Maybe
there aren't good reasons and they're just something that can be
fixed/improved.

I'm using meld 1.3.

--
Edwin V