Re: rfc: find dialog replaced with findbar

2009/3/15 Stephen Kennedy <stevek gnome org>:
> http://svn.gnome.org/viewvc/meld?view=revision&revision=1264
>
> I've replace the find dialog with a findbar and added replace support
> at the same time.
> The filediff.glade diff looks huge but it's really just changing
> filediff widget into a vbox
> and adding the bar at the end.
>
> I've tried to keep the bar as small as possible while maintaining the
> current features.
> Suggestions welcome.

Looks like a nice change. The only thing is that I think it could
generally act a bit more like other find bars, use similar strings,
etc. I guess this means use "Find:" instead of "Search for", have
"Find Next" and "Find Previous" buttons, and don't have a close
button, but just close when the bar loses focus.

There's also the recent changes to the find dialog that pre-fill it
with selected text, select the current entry, etc. Would it be
reasonable to port these to the find bar? If you like the idea, I
could do this.

The final thing that I noticed is that the text entry is very wide.
Maybe the width should be limited somewhat? EggFindBar (which I
believe is used by evince and epiphany) limits the entry width via
set_width_chars() to 32 characters.

Kai