Re: browse verisons idea

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 06:47:47PM -0700, Andrew Beyer wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 3:46 PM, Steve Franks <bahamasfranks gmail com> wrote:
> > [browsing CVS file revision history inside meld]
>
> I really don't think this functionality belongs in meld.

I strongly agree with this.

Meld is great because it allows to edit the diff that is shows. Features for
browsing history have a different workflow from how Meld works right now,
and need a different GUI.

In my oppinion gitk is a good example to demonstrate what GUI layout is
needed to effectively browse history.  (Yes, it uses an ugly toolkit with too
small fonts by default, and it doesn't work directly with SVN/CVS.)

I'd rather see such tools better integrated with Meld (eg. to selectively
copy old code into your current sandbox).  I fear that if history browsing
features are implemented inside Meld directly, it would take too long to get
all the required usability improvements to make this work really well for
most users.

> Is there something wrong with existing solutions,

I think there is. Those tools that I tried all are lacking somewhere, need
either usability care or more features.

> or something this adds to what is out there already?

I guess not.

bye,
Martin