Re: Can't use MELD anymore

>> pygtk install. The only ones of importance remaining are
>> GnomeFileEntry and GnomeEntry in the glade files. I suspect it would
>> take only a few hours to replace them with Gtk equivalents. Ideally
>> the history code would be rewritten at the same time.
>
> From http://live.gnome.org/LibgnomeMustDie:
> "GnomeEntry
>    * deprecated, but is the history-saving functionality replaced by anything?"
>
> So there is no history functionality for new widgets (and I don't know
> that anyone is working on it). This also applies to GnomeFileEntry -
> it's replaced by GtkFileChooserButton, which has no history at all,
> and a very different interface. If there was a decision to just go
> with GtkFileChooserButton and lose history-saving, then I'll happily
> volunteer to do the conversion. However, keeping a
> GnomeFileEntry-alike interface with history would probably be a lot of
> work, and I wouldn't know where to start.
>
> Opinions? Just how much do people need history?

I'd be happy to lose history now and add it back later. I don't think it
works all that well at the moment anyway.

>> Double bonus
>> marks for getting completion in there too!
>
> The default Gtk file dialog has completion built in, but obviously
> that doesn't complete against history, which I'm guessing is what you
> wanted?

I don't have a really solid idea of whats needed. I just know that the
current implementation feels really clunky and I almost never use
the dialog boxes as a result - I just start a new meld from the shell
which has all the nice completion stuff built in!

I think the history needs some extra smarts that aren't possible with
the Gnome interface. Perhaps not strictly history but more like the
"awesome bar" in firefox. Items should flow to some extent between
all tab types. e.g. opening a vc browser would include that folder in
the folder comparison suggestions (along with the regular filename
completion)

Stephen.