Latest fix for "No module named pygtk" ?

I have yet to find a definitive fix for this problem, despite
reinstalling meld, python and pygtk from source
 (./configure,make,sudo make install)

Looks like Python can get itself into a mess, but you cannot
just pull out all versions of Python and start again since so many
other packages depend on it. (Guess this is a Python problem)

There do not appear to be any recent binary RPMs of Python, and due
to what appears to be confusion in rpmbuild/glob about /usr/lib & /usr/local/lib,
creating a new one from the .src rpm is also faulty.

My "yum" is now in a similar state too :(

So much for package systems resolving dependencies ....

Regards,
MikeW

2.6.9-55.0.2.plus.c4smp i686 i386 GNU/Linux