Text filters do not work?

Hi,

I am using meld for quite some time now and like it
very much! There is only one thing I never could make
work for some reason (probably a silly one): Text
filters!

When I try the example text filter for C++ comments
and add a single-line comment in one of two identical
sources, meld keeps telling me the lines are different
for the sources. Why is that? Shouldnt it filter out
the comment?

Note that if I go to Setting->Preferences->Text
Filters, the light (I suppose it is a light) in the
upper left corner is red. For File Filters this is
green. Do I have to install some extra library or
something? I couldnt find anything in Google or the
Help.

Thanks!
Andrej