gnome dependencies?

I am new to this list, so I want to say hello to everyone.

I am not a developer, so I don't really know if the following question
makes any sense.

I've used meld occasionally under Ubuntu, and now wanted to install it
on another machine which is running Xubuntu. But meld depends on
'python-gnome2', and gnome is not on my system. So I would have to
install 52 packages (inlcuding gstreamer and other multimedia) in
order to make it run. Since it is an old low-end PC, I won't do this,
and I'll stick with command line diff today.

Would it be possible for you to change the dependencies to GTK (even
in a distant future), and make meld available to a wider audience? Or
is this just too difficult or too much work, or definitely impossible?

Anyway, thank you all for your great work.