Re: Embedding Meld

On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 00:08 +0000, Stephen Kennedy wrote:
> > 1. May I please do this?
> >
> > 2. PIDA is BSD license, and although we are not distributing Meld
> > itself, the import routine (10 lines from meldapp.main) is from Meld
> > and under GPL license. Is there any way PIDA could be allowed special
> > dispensation for copying this code?
> >
> > Now I guess you could say that that is just using the Meld API and it
> > is fine, but I would really appreciate your opinions on this.
> >
> > One thing I did recently notice is that the back-end for Meld is now
> > under BSD license, so that may well totally replace the PIDA version
> > control system, and ship with PIDA. PIDA is all about not reinventing
> > wheels.
>
> Hi Ali, actually I'm familiar with pida! I've been using it for the
> last few weeks, principally for the filesystem tree. I like the
> hyper-modular approach you've taken.

Thanks that's very kind.

> I think it's a great idea to integrate with pida. I can relicense
> the 10 lines as BSD if that helps, but are there any other licencing
> issues to be wary of? Do you know of any other BSD apps which
> integrate with GPL apps inside the same process?

Meld is the only GPL'd application that PIDA currently imports and uses
in this way. I have no idea about libraries like GTK. I don't even
nearly understand the complexities of these issues, but I figure that if
you (all) say that I can do this, then I can. Similarly, if you change
your minds, then I will stop. I don't think you need to relicense
anything, and I shall put an explanatory note in the module.

> I'm delighted that you're interested in the VC backend. It would be
> great if you could reuse the code. One thing you should be aware of
> however is that the first interface is really a strawman interface
> to work out what kind of interface is really needed. (see the bzr
> thread for instance)

Well, count an extra pair of hands.

Ali