Embedding Meld

Hi everyone.

I have embedded meld in an application I write (PIDA http://pida.berlios.de/). Currently PIDA contains a similar pan-vcs back-end to the new Meld plug in system (though not as advanced).

It uses Meld by importing the modules and then employing similar code to the Meld start up routine. Meld itself is not included in the application.

It does look absolutely stunning inside an IDE. And the plan is to allow users who want a graphical front-end to version control to use Meld.

I have a few questions:

1. May I please do this?

2. PIDA is BSD license, and although we are not distributing Meld itself, the import routine (10 lines from meldapp.main) is from Meld and under GPL license. Is there any way PIDA could be allowed special dispensation for copying this code?

Now I guess you could say that that is just using the Meld API and it is fine, but I would really appreciate your opinions on this.

One thing I did recently notice is that the back-end for Meld is now under BSD license, so that may well totally replace the PIDA version control system, and ship with PIDA. PIDA is all about not reinventing wheels.

Thanks,

Ali