Re: Announcement: this mailing list will be retired by the end of Oct 2022

Felix,

tagging means adding a tag to a specific thread that is created to make sure it can easily be filtered out and most importantly it can easily be configured as a watcher (i.e the process that allows you to receive an email when a new email / response has been added to a thread). Our Discourse instance already has a tag called "mc", which can be used to tag a specific thread at creation time (or later on in the process) to make sure it gets properly filtered for contributors that are only interested in mc conversations. Each Discourse category comes with an email endpoint, let's say you want to create a new thread under the Applications category, you can send an email to the applications discourse gnome org email and it gets automatically posted to Discourse, like you do today with Mailman. In the background we can configure an automatic tag, that is whenever the Midnight Commander or MC word is mentioned (similar to what happens today with Mailman list name tag on subjects) the "mc" tag is automatically added to your thread, that eases consumption by your contributors which have watchers defined for the "mc" tag.

Other interesting information:

Receiving notifications about Evolution related threads in Discourse:
   1. Go to Notifications Tags
      at https://discourse.gnome.org/my/preferences/tags
   2. Add "evolution" under "Watched" or "Tracked" (depends on how
      many notifications you want to get)
Docs: https://discourse.gnome.org/t/tags-and-watching/94

How to interact with Discourse via email:
https://discourse.gnome.org/t/interacting-with-discourse-via-email/46

Docs about personal notification settings:
https://discourse.gnome.org/my/preferences/notifications

Let me know if you need further help, I'll be more than happy to help your transition. Thanks!

On Thu, Oct 20, 2022 at 7:55 PM Felix Miata <mrmazda earthlink net> wrote:
Andrea Veri composed on 2022-10-20 13:09 (UTC+0200):

> Mailing list subscribers are invited to migrate to GNOME's Discourse
> instance [1]. Neil made sure [2] to create a set of tags
> [1] https://discourse.gnome.org

I went there. I saw nothing obviously having anything to do with MC on home page
or on applications page. MC definitely doesn't require anything to do with Gnome.
What is "tagging"? How about providing some useful instruction for people who have
only ever used mailing lists for GNU/Linux app support?
--
Evolution as taught in public schools is, like religion,
        based on faith, not based on science.

Felix Miata

--
Cheers,
Andrea

Principal Systems Engineer at Red Hat,
GNOME Infrastructure Team Coordinator,
Former GNOME Foundation Board of Directors Secretary,

Homepage: https://www.dragonsreach.it