Re: Help testing release candidate / mc-4.8.27-rc1

On Mon, 2 Aug 2021, Joseph Reagle wrote:

I ran the command you suggested and the make, make install, creates a binary in /usr/local/bin (though using homebrew arm64 commands in /opt/homebrew) and it seems to work fine.

Thanks for the confirmation! Then specifying triplets manually on Apple Silicon will be the workaround I will put in the release notes, until we get proper autotools support (hopefully) with the next release.

If you are unhappy with /usr/local, you can always specify custom prefix with --prefix=$HOME/opt/mc or so.

(It doesn't include panel scrollbars from #4256?).

Unfortunately, the author disappeared as suddenly as he appeared and the patch was left unfinished - thus it will not make it in this release.

BTW: During make, I get tons of warnings:

warning: unknown warning option '-Wformat-signedness' [-Wunknown-warning-option]
warning: unknown warning option '-Wmaybe-uninitialized'; did you mean '-Wuninitialized'?
[-Wunknown-warning-option]
warning: unknown warning option '-Wmissing-parameter-type' [-Wunknown-warning-option]
warning: unknown warning option '-Wunused-but-set-variable'; did you mean '-Wunused-const-variable'?

I've put our chief warning officer on CC, hopefully he can say something about that - apparently our compiler flag detection is not working correctly and warning flags are supplied even though they are not supported by the compiler...

Could you please post the complete build log as a compressed attachment?

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev