Directory Hotlist buttons

Hello,
Having been a long time midnight commander user, I've never actually
played with it.
So I was examining the directory hotlist box when I noticed two
buttons in the new entry popup, namely append and insert. I just couldn't figure
the difference out of the two buttons and they are don't seem to be
documented anywhere.
If anyone happen to know them please let them know.

Another thing;
If only there were a deselect hotkey!
If everything is selected then * key certainly helps but when I have a
weird selection then I have to choose unselect group (-) first and
filter for everything (*).
This isn't as convenient as if there were a single dedicated button for
that.
--
Best Regards,

Michael Nagie