Re: unrecoverable ftp timeout

Am 05.09.2018 um 10:12 schrieb wwp:
Hello Joerg,

On Wed, 05 Sep 2018 09:50:09 +0200 Joerg Thuemmler <listen vordruckleitverlag de> wrote:

Am 03.09.2018 um 11:34 schrieb wwp:
Hello!

there's something I'm experiencing quite frequently now, I'm not sure I
was facing this behaviour w/ former versions: it's losing the FTP
connection after a while being inactive then there is no way to free the
VFs from the 'Active VFS directories' (it's listed in) and there is no
way to re-instantiate the connection again.

If I try from the 'Directory hotlist', I get a:
    Cannot chdir to "/ftp://....";
    Remote I/O error (121))
if I try from 'FTP link...', I get only:
    Cannot chdir to "/ftp://....";

The only way I've found to reconnect to a lost FTP connection is
restarting mc, which is not convenient nor expected.

mc 4.8.1 compiled from the sources, on am up-to-date CentOS7 box:
$ mc --version
GNU Midnight Commander 4.8.21
Built with GLib 2.54.2
Using the S-Lang library with terminfo database
With builtin Editor
With subshell support as default
With support for background operations
With mouse support on xterm and Linux console
With support for X11 events
With internationalization support
With multiple codepages support
Virtual File Systems: cpiofs, tarfs, sfs, extfs, ftpfs, sftpfs, fish, smbfs
Data types: char: 8; int: 32; long: 64; void *: 64; size_t: 64; off_t: 64;

Regards,

[snip]
Also I noted ftp servers, which do block the connection after some idle time and if you try to use this connection,
they want you to reconnect and to put in your password once more. Mc caches your pw and resends it, but the new
connection is started in the ftp users root dir (on the ftp server) again, not in the dir you last used. That may
confuse the vfs system, but it's a problem connected with the ftp server's usual behavior (mc could resend the
"cd" commands then after reconnection, dunno whether it's possible to cache last dir before timeout
disconnect).

I experience this specific behaviour quite often (back to root or
parent folder).

[snip]
I would try to get a later timeout on the used ftp server, as I believe it's an old "feature" and will not be
changed next time, espacially as sftp will become a more important ftp replacing... Maybe you should change some other
properties of your ftp servers making trouble if you try to re-connect. But this depends on ftp server program used.

I'm afraid I can't change anything on the FTP server side, it's not
mine at all.. All I know is that mc is not behaving correctly (and
possibly differently than "before"?) - I don't face such issues w/
filezilla against the same FTP servers.

Regards,