Re: display thousands separator in file size

On 9/26/16, Fourhundred Thecat <400thecat gmx ch> wrote:

I am using thousands separator with ls, and it hugely increases
readability:

  BLOCK_SIZE="'1" ls -lAF

You'll have this feature when ticket #3666 advances.[1]

is there a simple way how I could modify the code, so that file size
displayed in mc has thousands separator?

If you know how to compile code then simply install mc^2. It has this
feature.[2]

is there a simple way how I could modify the code, so that file size
displayed in mc has thousands separator?

It's not a simple one-line fix to the code. That's because the
thousands separators consume space, and the available space affects
the units used (which affects the space!). So it's like a
chicken-and-egg problem.

But, if you feel adventurous, and don't expect hand-holding from us:

In lib/utils.c find the function size_trunc_len(). Change the three
character string "%" (there's only one there!) to "%'". But now the
separators will consume space and the size column will cut off a digit
or two. So go to "Listing mode", choose "User defined", and change
"size" to "size:10" to give it 10 columns (or more). But, as I
explained, you'll sooner or later find that it's not perfect.

[1] http://www.midnight-commander.org/ticket/3666
[2] http://www.typo.co.il/~mooffie/mc-lua/docs/html/index.html