Re: mcedit - wordwrap

On Thu, 4 Sep 2014, tooth pik wrote:
On Thu, Sep 04, 2014 at 08:26:49AM +0100, James Freer wrote:
I've just started using mc. I was wondering if mcedit does soft
wordwrap or just hard line wordwrap. It does paragraph formatting
like nano and pico do but not from what I can see is softwrap.

When I say softwrap I mean like emac's 'visual line mode' (Vim does
aswell but can't remember the command).

do you mean

   :set textwidth=72

and

   :set wrap

those commands?

No... in vim I remember it now it's :set linebreak and leaves the textwidth as default.

The GUI editors e.g. Leafpad, gedit, kate all do. I wanted to use
mcedit as a prose text editor and so want to 'wrap' entire paragraphs.

IMHO you can't do better than vim, and it integrates seamlessly with mc

Thing is I don't really want all the tweaks and 101 options - both emacs and vim are excellent editors but 'heavy' for me as a non IT geek. But I do like the console and was switching to mc and hoped mcedit might be what I was hoping for. Vim has an irritating @ at the end of file and I find the keybindings awkward.

Of all the 1001 editors there does not seem to be a console editor capable of softwrap. I was hoping mcedit was just what I was looking for.

thanks
james