Use an alternative opt path without re-compiling

Hello,

I want to use mc on an AIX machine where I am just an user without many privileges. So to avoid compiling
myself I used a binary from perlz.org [1] and installed it to my home directory into the following directory
structure:

~/opt
~/opt/freeware
~/opt/freeware/bin
~/opt/freeware/doc
~/opt/freeware/etc
~/opt/freeware/lib
~/opt/freeware/libexec
~/opt/freeware/man
~/opt/freeware/share

On startup mc loads the librarys from lib fine, because setting up LIBPATH like:

LIBPATH=~/opt/freeware/lib

But while loading files from /opt (like /opt/freeware/etc/mc/mc.charsets) mc of course can't find the files
there. Because they are in ~/opt.
The result: E.g. it doesn't can load the default skin.

I found in the trac wiki that while compiling I could change the path using --prefix.
But is there a way to change the path without re-compiling?

[1] http://www.perzl.org/aix/index.php?n=Main.Mc