Behavior based on a certain external panelize

I've been waiting for ages for a certain ticket to have any progress:
https://www.midnight-commander.org/ticket/1636
but it seems like it was forsaken.

So I thought about making something similar using the external panelize:
I have a file containing key-value pairs of a name and directory, seperated by space,
E.g. SomeDirectory /var/www/This/And/That/Directory.

Using external panelize I can easily extract the key values to show as a list,
but I need to have MC recognize them as special -
When I hit return on one of them,
I want MC to automatically cd into them.

I would rather not have a specific user menu command for this feature,
albeit if that is the only way,
a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.