Re: disable mouse sort order? (Joe(theWordy)Philbrook)

It would appear that on May 13, Alan Corey did say:

FreeBSD used to have midc set up driving a script that drove mc after
doing other stuff, so I used that.

Spent over a day using mc -d and no crashes yet. An unexpected benefit
is that now I can copy from mc's viewer instead of having it go
berserk when I click in it.

That (to me) is the main reason to use the -d... But then I prefer to use
keyboard shortcuts to switch the focus...

Well, this is a Dell 24" widescreen monitor which I use at it's native
1920x1080 (HDTV) resolution.  I put a screenshot at
http://ab1jx.webs.com/toys/dell24.gif so people can see why I'd want
to click in a window to shift the focus.  I have it at arm's length
and wear my reading glasses.  I can read the smaller rxvt windows, but
shift +/- (after clicking in them) zooms them up and down.  I can have
them all small then zoom the one I want to work in.

Yup, you organize differently than I do. But if I kept so many open windows
on the same desktop area, then being able to click on the one I want to work
with next without messing up it's content would be a priority for sure.

I on the other hand use multiple virtual desktop areas (workspaces some call em)
to organize my open stuff by project and or category. I configured E17 to
have 12 separate desktop areas. Which I associated with <ctrl>+<Fkey>
combinations. (I did find it necessary to disable E17's "edje bindings" which
wanted to switch desktop areas every time the {expletive deleted} rodent
pointer drifted too close to the edge of the screen.) Each desktop area has
it's own distinctive background image so I can at a glance be sure I'm where I
think I am before opening an application or terminal window.  I dedicate one
area for general web browsing with opera.  another has a terminal window
running my preferred mail client {alpine} Which will on my command use firefox
to open a link. {This way I can easily purge all cookies etc and slam the
browser session closed without disturbing anything opera might have indexed}
In a like manor there is yet another area where I would use firefox to access
my online banking or other secure site where my personal paranoia protocol
requires that I always do: {"purge all" then connect then "purge all" then
"browser close"}. Yet another desktop area is dedicated to any entertainment
be it some game or watching a dvd etc... And there is one reserved for any root
shell and/or package management windows. The rest are for "project du jour".

Inside of each project I might have more than one open window (most sized
nearly to full screen proportions so that on my arms length 17" Sony
flatscreen I can use font sizes that don't require me to find my durned
reading glasses.) But seldom so many that it's inconvenient to use
<alt>+<tab> to scroll to the one I'm looking for.

Maybe one approach would be to have the window manager consume the
first mouse click in a window when that mouse click is in an unfocused
window.  I wouldn't be surprised if fvwm can be set to do that, in the
window styles, but I haven't looked into it because I just thought of
it.

That sounds to me like it would be a good feature. But if aliasing mc to
the -d option works for you, why bother?

Have a nice day!