re: disable mouse sort order?

  I have nothing good to say about starting MC with the -d option and highly
reccomend recompiling. Disabling mouse
support will still allow gpm copy/paste functions while not operating in a
GUI.

Why? Does it crash if you remove mouse support or something?  And I've
never seen the GUI version.

If you wish to avoid rebuilding MC for the time being, I have found simply
rolling the mouse wheel will bring the focus
back to whichever window you are hovering over, even over the task-bar,
usually without disturbing the cursor.

I don't have any wheel mice.  I consider them to be an evil invention
by Microsoft designed to cause repetitive strain disorder.

  Alan