Problem with child windows...

Many times, I find it easier to launch mc and navigate to a directory
to view a document (e.g., PDF in evince).  Most of the time, I don't
need mc any longer so I close it.  This closes my document window,
because it is a child of mc.  I have to send mc to another XMonad
workspace to move it out of the way, and I usually forget it there.
I'm wondering if there's any way to set the parent of the child window
to the root window (or init, or whatever would be appropriate) rather
than mc, so I can close mc and continue working.

As a test, I followed the same procedure using nautilus.  It worked as
expected:  Closing nautilus did not close the document window.  I'd
like to do the same with mc, but I'm unsure how (and my google fu
isn't good enough to find a guide telling me how to do it).  The
extension file already opens the document viewer, and appends '&' to
the command.

And before I finished this email, I found nohup.  It does exactly what
I want, allows me to kill mc without killing the children windows.
Hope this helps someone else.  If there's a better way to do it, let
me know.

Trey