Re: Open files with application

On Fri, 2011-06-03 at 19:26 +0300, Sergiy Kukunin wrote:
Hello. MC has built-in default application manager in .mc/bindings
file. It is cool, and I want use it for all applications ( browser,
pidgin, skype etc ). All of that applications uses xdg-open for
opening file in application, whic is simple bash script. I can replace
xdg-open with something similar: 'mc -a $@' and mc determines and
starts application for this file.

Is this a question or a statement?

If it is a question, then I believe it is ill-posed. We actually would
like to modify the built-in mechanism to make it more of a mailcap
parser with few very specific overrides, instead of making it even more
elaborated.

There are many problems with the current implementation. For instance,
it is not possible to extend the defaults, only override the whole file.
A variation of this problem causes issues upon upgrades.

All in all this ended up a NIH re-implementation of mailcap which causes
duplication of the configuration and doesn't bear substantial
advantages.

So if this is in fact a statement, we would rather appreciate help with
re-doing it, instead of making it even more elaborate and increase
duplication.

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev