RE: File & Directory Hightlighting

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010, Masiar, Peter wrote:

To: "mc gnome org" <mc gnome org>
From: "Masiar, Peter" <peter masiar yale edu>
Subject: RE: File & Directory Hightlighting

Not sure if I understand your question.

IIUC, the problem you have is that after cherry-picking a subset of (empty) directories, when you copy them, selection is "lost" and you need to repeat the process (to copy the same dirs to different destination), you need to cherry-pick same dirs again. And you are afraid that something can go wrong, you can miss some dirs and/or add some wrong ones by mistake second time around. So you would like the selection be "sticky" and not disappear after the copy, ready to be used again and again.

Is my understanding correct?

Yes, that's EXACTLY what I want to do. Seems silly to have to making the selection again. And I'd rather do it in mc if possible. After all that's what mc is for, to make Linux more user friendly. It also nice to have a visual indication of the files/directories you have selected to copy - which is not available from bash shell.

Keith

Of course you can use cp command for copying, but two-panel mc seems simpler (to me). Copy is a copy, regardless if you use cp for it, or mc command.

What I am missing?

BTW sorry for not responding to mailing list first time around.

-----
Peter Masiar, Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) http://www.yale.edu/ehs
(203) 314-2719