Re: mc Digest, Vol 77, Issue 7

The multiscreen patch, that allows you to keep many instances of
editors and viewers open within one mc session has been merged
in the master branch and is available from version 4.7.3 on
(if I am not mistaken).

I understand a 'session' to be from logon to logoff.
I believe you mean 'one VT/console' ?

 If I remember correctly it adds a menu with all the running
 instances of editors and viewers and the names of the files
 edited or viewed should be visible from within this window.

That's fantastic! So why is it never discussed? No heavy duty
users here, who would need it - I doubt that.
For the typical use that I've described you'd want allso the
mc/S which were open in a path, ready for use on 'that' project,
even if no file was current being viewed, edited.

What are the 'steps' to exercise your described feature?

Alternatively, you can consider using screen or tmux and as
mc now shows pwd in the terminal title, keeping track of which
instance does what is quite trivial.
Are you refering to screen's ability to show multiple files or
multiple copies of one file, on a single display, so you would not
have multiple screens open with a single one visible?
There are obvious advantage re. clutter, in having a whole screen
dedicated to a file-view. And screen would 'compress' 20 VTs of
4 tasks to 4 screens, which still need keeping track of. So the
managment problem is reduced, but not eliminated.

`pwd` shows <where you are now> but doesn't tell you <where to
switch to for the emailed-advice from J on project P>. But a list
of 'open' paths, which YOU have created, will allow you to recognise
where to go. NB. mc copied the power/convenience of RECOGNITION over
remembering from NC, which we should acknowledge.

Oh wait, I vaguely remember, that I already suggested this to you, but
got no reply or something

The gmail inconvenience and my disinclanation to do twitter-kiddie
style, plus the fact that every connect/dial-up costs me, is my reason
for not doing 'one line exchanges'.

 I have noticed that you came up with a good subject in the
 body of the message, so all you need to do now is to make
 a small step further and actually paste it into the Subject
 field of the message.

Do you really think I'd overlook such a trivial improvement,
if it was possible?
All I'm able to do on this: FC1 > konqueror
 is reset the default: