Specifiying a skin in ini

I recently started experimenting with using skins. One thing I wanted to do was use a different skin when running MC as root.

I modified /root/.mc/ini to include this:

skin=/usr/share/mc/gotar.ini

I've tried several variants of this, but none of them work - the default skin is still used.

I then tried a script:

#!/bin/sh
mc --skin=gotar

That works fine,  but I cannot get the 'skin' directive to work in ini.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug? This problem appears in the standard Slackware version of MC, and also in my own build of 4.7.4.

Paul.