Re: mcedit

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010, Yury V. Zaytsev wrote:

On Wed, 2010-03-10 at 10:34 -0700, Ben wrote:

Is there truly no way to search for ^M or other embedded control
 characters?

^M are not the embedded control characters. It's just the way mcedit
represents \r's (carriage return character). So if you run dos2unix on
the file or search and replace \r's (ASCII 13) with "" it should do the
trick.

I guess there've been numerous requests to add an option to not show
\r's in the editor, however I don't remember whether they made their way
to the Trac or not.

Your best bet would be to search the Trac and

1) If such a ticket exists, vote for it
2) If it does not, then create it.

OK, here is a vote. If those things are in the file, I prefer to see them, thanks. There are occasions when those DOS control characters can really get in the way, and to have a situation where the problem is hidden so that nobody can see exactly what the problem is makes the problem even worse. For example, sometimes one gets some C code from some other place, and somewhere along the way those ^M characters have been stuck on every line, when it is not good at all to have them lurking there. In such situations, the extra control characters are then removable by running the file through dos2unix, for example, and one had better do that.

At the same time, I can see that someone else has a different problem and needs not to see them. I can understand his problem, and I sympathize. But please do not try to solve his problem by screwing things up for others. Try to think of another way around his problem, instead.

Theodore Kilgore