Re: mcedit

Hello Ben,

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 09:01:36 -0700 Ben <2blkbelt nemontel net> wrote:

I use mcedit constantly, running it on an OS X 10.5.8 terminal to
numerous remote redhat 9 linux machines from within mc, and on
occasion invoked as mcedit (which I presume, as per the docs, is just
mc -e.).

On occasion, I run into a file with ^M at the end of a line in MCEDIT.

I can delete these one at a time if I position the cursor right on them.

I have tried many things to attempt and use the F4 global search and
replace, but nothing seems to work in the first field, the search
field. I would leave the replace field empty, because I want them
gone.

Regular expressions - no. ^M, no. The format string replace... I don't
even understand HOW you would use that to find a control character.
%015, no. \015, no. \r, no. %13, no. %0D, no. 0x0D, no. [^M], no.

There's a [^] field at the end of the line, but I can't seem to get to
it with tab, and the mouse flat out does nothing in an mcedit pane.

I've been to the documentation (hah!) and I've searched using Google. Nothing.

I know I can use sed, etc., to do this, but I don't always have
execute privileges in the directories I'm working in, because I'm in
remotely via SSH in one pane - the filesystem is remote.

Could someone take pity on me and tell me how it's supposed to work?

You can use \n and make sure you check the regular expression widget.
At least it works w/ 4.7.1, even if mcedit completely freezes when you
choose "All" in the confirm replace dialog.

Regards,

--
wwp