Calling a script per selected file

Hi,

is the following possible (and if yes: how? ;) )

1) After selecting a couple of files I want to call
   a shell script for each file seperately. The script
   will compress that file and remove the original.
2) After selecting a couple of files I want to call
   a shell script with all files as arguments. The script
   will compress thie files and remove the originals.

   What do I have to do to make a two "new commands"
   (one for each script) for mc and how can I tell
   mc to update its panes?
   What return codes of the script does mc understand?

   Best regards,
   mcc