Re: Editing with mc

On Sun, 29 Aug 2010, Thomas Dickey wrote:

On Sun, 29 Aug 2010, Helmut Hullen wrote:

Hallo, Keith,

keith karsites net meinte am 29.08.10 in mc zum Thema Re: Editing with mc:

1) I don't know a short cut key to get to the beginning or to
the end of a file I'm editing, what am I missing?

CTRL-Home will move you to the top of the file you are editing.
CTRL-End ditto end of file.

That's what I'm expecting, but the cursor moves only to the
beginning or the end of the line!

[...]

       echo $TERM

tells "xterm" (running the machine via "putty").

Maybe that's the reason. When I go to the real keyboard (and not via
"putty") then "echo $TERM" tells "linux", and Ctrl-end works as
described. With old and new versions of mc.

I use konsole terminal emulator part of KDE, under XFCE.

[...]

Ctrl keys work OK on konsole.

Under "putty" most (nearly all) ctrl keys work. Only "ctrl end" and
"ctrl home" seem to resist.

I would expect the individual control keys to work.  However, control
as a modifier to function keys appears to have no effect with putty.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net

Hi,

I am also using Slackware (current) and running mc from the Slackware
package mc-20100509_git-i486-1. I just double-checked to make sure that I
do not have this problem, and indeed I do not have the problem in
TERM=linux nor in TERM=xterm.

I did have previously some problems with the Ctrl and Alt keys, though.
Namely in the xterm the Alt key was not operating properly and I had to
adopt some kind of fix. More specifically, the Alt-s key combination,
and such like things, did not work at all. Instead, one had to use
Ctrl-s to get the same results. This was all very nice, but Alt-o mapped
to Ctrl-o which has a meaning already, and so on. So, it was a bunch of
nonsense.

The above problem seems to have been related, essentially, to the problem
that X has switched over to Unicode key maps.

Just in case that the problem with Ctrl-End and Ctrl-Home is also related,
here is what I had to do to fix my problem:

Create a local .Xdefaults file in my home directory, with the following
line in it

XTerm*metaSendsEscape:  true

If this does not fix the weird problem then one might hope that perhaps
something similar will.

Theodore Kilgore