Re: Colors on MC 4.7.0.1 are *really* a mess, seconded

Hi!

On Sun, 2010-04-18 at 12:30 -0700, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

And the colors are a *mess* as I reported to Debian userlist:

*Your* custom color scheme is a mess. Default color schemes have been
converted to skins.

Nothing now works as before. As noted on this list:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/mc/2010-March/msg00028.html

Surprise-surprise!

Which leaves me with using the default skin, all blue.

mc --nocolor?

And that is progress? Creating a new skin takes days and repeated
 clarification requests because there is no documentation. E.g. when I
 take the default skin and change:

Oh really? Have you read man mc? Also, not that I've seen a single
clarification request on an appropriate list.

then the effect is startling: directory entries turn bright-white and
 in mcedit all text is black on white with a blue background, which
 looks ridiculous. And that is changing just one line in a skin! Where
 is that documented?

http://www.s-lang.org/doc/html/cslang-8.html

When you replace a much used function by something entirely different,
 at least provide a spectrum of options. Now I am back to basic blue
 until some good soul comes up with a decent skin. I just found 2 user
 developed skins: elite_commander and bluemoon, both with black
 backround: unreadable.

Blah-blah-blah...!

Of course, coming up if "before" and "after" screenshots and explaining
what exactly is wrong in your opinion is beyond the spectrum of your
possible actions.

This is holding back my Debian upgrade, unless I pin mc at 4.6.2-pre1
 to prevent a replacement of mc by 4.7.0.1 until some time in the
 future when skins have been developed by users.

What a drama... I guess I won't be able to get to sleep tonight.

BTW I still use mc 4.1.40-pre8 developed by Oleg "Olegarch" Konovalov:
http://mc.linuxinside.com/cgi-bin/dir.cgi only for one reason: it fills
 in the 'To' field in copy and move operations which still hasn't made
 it into the official mc. If the 'To' field is complex, I have to write
 it down because your dialog box hides it.

This part of the rant is absolutely unintelligible, however, if you are
able to articulate, your best bet would be to file an enhancement
request and hopefully it will be implemented in the next versions.

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev