Re: /etc/mailcap

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 05:13:08PM -0700, Daniel González Gasull
   wrote:
I want Midnight Commander and GNOME to use the same programs to
open files, so I've been configuring /etc/mailcap and in
~/.mc/bindings I just have this:

default/*
    Open=see %f >/dev/null 2>&1 &
    View=run-mailcap --action=cat %f
    Edit=edit %f >/dev/null 2>&1 &

The problem is that from time to time /etc/mailcap seems to be
overwritten.  Maybe after updates.

Your OS package manager is probably the culprit. mc(1) is most
certainly not responsible for that. This is the mc list.

Is there any way to prevent /etc/mailcap from being overwritten
so I can use the same programs in mc and GNOME?

Maybe. Check your OS/distribution documentation and ask in a place
which supports it.