Re: Copy process over hardware failure is endless

On Sat, 24 Oct 2009, Enrico Weigelt wrote:

To: mc gnome org
From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt metux de>
Subject: Re: Copy process over hardware failure is endless

* wwp <subscript free fr> wrote:
Hello there,

I'm trying to copy the contents of a disk to another. The source disk
shows ext3 fs problems due to hardware failures, and the copy process
within mc is endless. Copying from or to a broken disk layer is
something I always avoided from within mc because of this behaviour.

In /var/log/messages I'm getting tons of:
Sep  7 14:48:03 monolith kernel: sd 8:0:0:0: [sdd] Add. Sense: No additional sense information
Sep  7 14:48:32 monolith kernel: sd 8:0:0:0: [sdd] Sense Key : No Sense [current]
Sep  7 14:48:32 monolith kernel: Info fld=0x0

MC most likely can't do anything here. It's an kernel issue.
The driver/block layer tries to get as much as it can.
You should ask the kernel devs (or maybe docs) how to set smaller
retries/timeouts.

On Fedora Linux I had some really strange error messages when trying to copy files from my hard drive to a USB flash drive.

I identified the errors as being due to the fact that the USB was automounted by the kernel.

I think this was due to the flash drive being formated as FAT32, which caused it to be automounted.

I reformatted the USB stick as an extended partition, with an ext3 logical partition inside that.

It did not get automounted by the kernel. I mounted the USB flash drive by hand and the errors went away.

HTH

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Websites: