Re: Mc Digest, Vol 67, Issue 8

Lee wrote:-
Not sure about the other stuff but I think I know what you want for
the PWD thing.
'mc' has a '-P', or '--printwd', option that will save mc's current
working directory to a file.

My 'mc' installed a 'mc-wrapper.sh' script in '/usr/local/libexec/mc'
that uses that option and does what I think you're looking for.
In the same directory there should be a 'mc.sh'  script that you can
source to set up an alias for the 'mc' command.
  ==============
ls -l /usr/local/libexec/*
ls: /usr/local/libexec/*: No such file or directory

How does an alias help ?
I see how a wrapper could 'pretend' to do it:
 before you exit to the wrapper, it could save PWD to a file [which is 'global'
and independent of any process]. And then the wrapper could set PWD.
I don't like the extra complexity of having to know if/what wrapper I'm in.
One good thing of school-teacher-style Debian is that some of the more complex
manS are easier to understand. So I've finally worked out how to make
"macro-keys",
which are also global. So my bash-based-micro-mc can save PWD to a
file, and after
it exits I'll just press eg. <F12> which will key:  cd `cat <file
which saved PWD>'.

----------------
= I've installed mc on Slak3, RH6.2; Slak?; Mandrake9; FC1,
mulinux... all with no problems.

Frank wrote:-
You have installed on those distributions the same mc binary which you
now try to install on Debian Lenny?

No, I've installed those since 1995.
Each with it's own binary.

Possibly on the other systems is/was another version of the GNU C
library (/lib/libc.so.*) available and the mc is linked to this
version.

Yes, each mc installed automatically from the installation CD/fd0,
to its own partition, with its own /lib, without any problem.
What made me immediately feel strange/negative towards Debian, is
that it didn't install mc & gpm by default.
And uses the CD-space for other strange-stuff.
==== Here's an ealier version of my own visual file manager, that I
have to use on this Debian installation:---
##!/bin/bash
# lst of patches: gawk=unknown: use awk?
# add mkdir,cp,../   Use THIS: mymc3 for patching

write_menu ()

{

clear
# echo 'numbered lines of dir:-'
pwd

# add line-no & show some fields of 'ls -l'
ls -l |
  awk '{print NR "\t"  $1 " : " $5 " : " $9 }'

echo -n "Selection file/dir: "
     read SELCTN

# extract the file/dir via the line-no/SELECTN
FileDir=` ls -l |
 awk -v dirline="$SELCTN"  'NR==dirline { print $9 }' `

 echo 'L[ynx, V[iew, E[dit, cD[ir', Q[uit, M[kdir, C[opy, U[cd ../
 read ACTION
 case $ACTION in
            L | l) w3m $FileDir;;
            U | u) cd ../;;
            V | v) cat $FileDir;;
            E | e) nano $FileDir;;
#  for new file, nano allows chosen fileName to be entered @ 1st 'save'
            D | d) cd  $FileDir;;
            M | m) echo -n 'new-dir name: '; read KEY; mkdir $KEY;;
            C | c) echo -n 'dest-file-name: '; read KEY; cp $FileDir $KEY;;
            Q | q) exit;;

            *) echo -n "an unknown number of";;
          esac
 echo -n 'pwd=' ; pwd ;