for the wish list: support for reading LZM and LZMA compressed formats

Specifically:

Slax and perhaps some other live distros are using LZM-compressed files along with squashfs, and are mounting them as loop devices during the boot process. It would be really nice to be able to read the contents through MC.

Also, it seems that Slackware (in slackware-current) has just made a move from the old, time-honored tgz format to a new format which is called "txz" and the ChangeLog says:
Fri May  8 18:49:03 CDT 2009
Hello folks! This batch of updates includes the newly released KDE 4.2.3, but more noticeably it marks the first departure from the use of gzip for
  compressing Slackware packages.  Instead, we will be using xz, based on
  the LZMA compression algorithm.  xz offers better compression than even
bzip2, but still offers good extraction performance (about 3 times better
  than bzip2 and not much slower than gzip in our testing).  Since support
for bzip2 has long been requested, support for bzip2 and the original lzma format has also been added (why not?), but this is purely in the interest
  of completeness -- we think most people will probably want to use either
  the original .tgz or the new .txz compression wrappers.  The actual
Slackware package format (which consists of the layout within the package envelope) has not changed, but this is the first support within Slackware's
  package tools for using alternate compression algorithms.

I would be glad to help, to the best of my ability. However, I have tried to look into the existing code for things like tar.gz support and I can not quite grasp how it has been done. Too much C for doing hardware support and not enough C++ for doing application stuff is no doubt the problem on my part. Thus, I could in practical terms probably not be of much use in the project. If anyone knows more about how to do this kind of thing and thinks I can help anyway, please let me know. I really would like to see it get done.

Theodore Kilgore