Re: Mc Digest, Vol 63, Issue 1

On Sun, 5 Jul 2009, chris glur wrote:

----------"
The F4 (search and replace) routine is not working as it used to do.
... snip..
( ) proMpt on replace
( ) replace All
"---------

Yes I've only started to use that lately.

It can be a very handy thing.

For my version the 2 toggles [via mouse] are independant,
although the concepts are not: if all are to be replaced,
you can't be prompted ?

Exactly. Why *can't* you be prompted if you want to be? Suppose you know you have 20 to 30 specimens of what you want to search/replace in a piece of code. Suppose you know that somewhere in the middle of that code if you do the particular replacement blindly, it will cause problems. All one wants to do is to be able to look at the occurrences one at a time and decide on each occasion. It seems that functionality is gone now.

---------"
Search is not preserved during one mc session from one file to the next
(this also is the case if you opened the files with F4 (edit) as well as
with F3 (view)).
Is a 'session' from boot to logout ?

No, one VT or one xterm, say. I mean, log in or open the xterm, start mc inside of it. That is what I mean by one session. I would assume that if one closes mc and opens it again then any such settings as what to search for would be gone bye-bye?

How many mc's would you have running, for a session
of 3 days and 3+ 3+ 3 = 9 hours ?

Eek. I usually do not run the computer for three days, except for my office machine which is a server. And I do not walk off from that one and leave myself logged in.

Theodore Kilgore