Re: Mc Digest, Vol 68, Issue 9

Joe(theWordy)Philbrookwrote:-
KUDOS to the authors and maintainers!
The main praise must go to the original Norton commander concept/design,
which is a prime example of a design which was worth cloning and extending.
-----
But I've almost always been disappointed by the fact that in
xterm and/or konsole, I've been unable to find a key binding
that will copy the full path name of the currently selected
file to the command line.

Though usually Alt-Enter did work. But that's not as useful
as C-Shift-Enter in building a command line affecting multiple
files in more than one directory...

Alt-Enter puts the selected file-name on the cmnd-line, without the path,
and is usually sufficient, because the action will be within the context of the
selected panel. But yes if I want to get the path of the 'other' panel, I
ususally cutNpaste it over. And yes it would be useful to be able to key-capture
it instead.

I've got something related: I need to append the selected
path/FileName to a file.
Which I do via "<F2>, 6", i.e. the menu, which uses:--------
6       Write pwd / currentFile = to /s4 for LEO
        echo -n "EditTools.OpenUnix " >> /s4
        pwd >> /s4
        ls %f >> /s4
-------
So if the menu-syntax knows eg. <the CmndLine> as %c, then:
  pwd >> %c
might have done it ?
---------
...directory with the fewest applicable files. Then doing something like
"X=$(pwd)Enter" and typing the command using "$A/Alt-Enter" to effectively
copy the pathnames from that directory and just "Alt-Enter" (or Esc Enter)
to copy the filenames from the other directory. Then if I make sure I'm
in the other directory when I hit enter, it generally works. But that's a
real pain...

What's the basis of: "X=$(pwd)Enter"  and   "$A/Alt-Enter" ??