restarting in X Terminal

I use mc in Terminal 0.2.6 under xorg ("Terminal -e mc"), but i know this problem applies, eg. in xterms et. al.

If i quit out of X with mc on once, EVERY subsequent instance starts at console size within the (much larger) terminal window, forcing me to open a tab, start mc (which now starts proper size), and then close the other tab. The (more) irritating part is that now the panel directory does not count as the fresh tab directory...and this behavior does not reset until i reboot, even if mc is cleanly exited a number of times.