Re[2]: sftp

Hello kilgota,

Saturday, October 20, 2007, 7:23:04 PM, you wrote:

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007, Pavel Tsekov wrote:

MC has FISH which is emulating a file system over ssh i.e.
listing directories, copying, moving, deleting files/directories
and so on.

I have a nome machine (on which I am typing this) and an office machine
(to which I am currently connected, as it is among other things my mail
server). Sometimes, I want to move large quantities of stuff from office
to home or home to office. What I discovered, by actually trying it, is
that there is somehow a huge overhead which makes things go rather slowly.
One of the biggest problems is that when I do the connection then it takes
a very long time, apparently during which the entire filesystem on the
other end has to be read (and it is not small, but by today's standards
not huge, by any means). During this time one can do just about nothing at
all with the FISH connection. Thus, I have for a long time I have not used
this feature.

I am a bit confused so I am going to ask several questions to
understand the problem better. Do experience a slowdown on
the machine which runs MC or on the machine to which MC is
connected ? Does it take a long time to read the directory
listing or maybe to download or upload a file ? What do you
expect to do while MC is busy doing something ?

Note that you if you have slow upload - you are most likely
to experience a speedup if you upgrade to the new version.