Re: sftp

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007, Pavel Tsekov wrote:

Hello Alexander,

Saturday, October 20, 2007, 12:54:04 AM, you wrote:

does the current version of mc
support sftp or scpy? Are there
the plans to use sftp instead of
ftp virtual file system?

MC has FISH which is emulating a file system over ssh i.e.
listing directories, copying, moving, deleting files/directories
and so on.

Pavel,

Might I add a comment here?

I have used this, and it works. I have not used it in the new test version because of some difficulty with it in the previous version. When I say that, I should explain, so here is the explanation. The environment in which I have used it is as follows:

I have a nome machine (on which I am typing this) and an office machine (to which I am currently connected, as it is among other things my mail server). Sometimes, I want to move large quantities of stuff from office to home or home to office. What I discovered, by actually trying it, is that there is somehow a huge overhead which makes things go rather slowly. One of the biggest problems is that when I do the connection then it takes a very long time, apparently during which the entire filesystem on the other end has to be read (and it is not small, but by today's standards not huge, by any means). During this time one can do just about nothing at all with the FISH connection. Thus, I have for a long time I have not used this feature.

Thus, the situation last time I tried it seemed to be that this is a really neat idea which would be just beautiful if it would only work with reasonable speed in practice. But somewhere in the procedure there was just too much overhead. I wonder if it is possible to do any streamlining.

As to the way to interface with this feature, there are no problems at all. Just use the F9 menu to get the option of a network connection, choose Shell link... and enter the machine name, then a password at the prompt. This IMHO could not be improved in any way whatsoever. The problems all come afterwards.

I am sorry to say that I do not know enough about such things that I could be of help in this. If I did know enough I would be glad to help out instead of being in the rather uncomfortable role of pointing out problems.

Theodore Kilgore