Re: Auto-indent for various languages=pretty print

==================
OK, I'll asume that my previous [the 1st one] post was
delivered.   This is what I've discover since then:-

It must be great to be able to build small programs from structures,
instead of chars and have the code auto-pretty-printed.
And the syntax colouring helps to manage the code.

mc provides facilities [currently mostly for C, but hopefully
can be extended to other languages] whereby: F11 shows a
select-structure-menu like:
 5       IF () ELSEIF ()
 6       CASE (int) OF
 7       for ()
 8       while ()
...etc...
Q1 -where is this [headed as] " User menu" located ?
Searching /home & /usr for "CASE (int)" didn't find it for me!

Apparently the pretty-printing via F19 is driven by
file ~/.mc/cedit/edit.indent.rc which has:--
#! /bin/sh
# *** External Formatter (Indenter) for GNU Midnight Commander.
# arguments:
#    $1 - Name of the file being edited
#    $2 - Name of the file to be processed

exec >/dev/null

case `echo $1 |sed 's/^.*\.//'` in
    c|h)
    # ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/indent/
    # Please add options to your ~/.indent.pro, not here.
        indent "$2"
    ;;...etc. for c++, java, html...etc....

I.e. the script's section says:
"if the file type [via the name] is *.c or *.h
 then use the "indent" utility with the 2nd argument.
I.e. use the "indent" utility on the C-source-file.

'man indent' tells about the indent utility.

Q2 - In the comment of the script: I think I know what
 "the file being edited" is, but what's "the file to
 be processed" ?

Perhaps the many args for indent are passed via a file ?

Q3  - how exactly does:
"`echo $1 |sed 's/^.*\.//'` in
    c|h)", translate to " if the file is *.c OR *.h" ?

Q4 - does anybody use these F11 & F19 mc facilities ?
Q5 - what's the differnce between mcedit & cooledit and which does
mc use ?

Thanks for any feedback,

== Chris Glur.

The selected structure is placed at the cursor.
And F19 pretty-prints the pre-marked block.