Odd behaviour by patched 4.6.1 on Slackware 8.1

I recently installed Slackware 8.1 on an agong MMX/233 box. Since it has mc 4.5.55, I decided to upgrade it to 4.6.1. FYI, this distro has kernel 2.4.18, gcc 2.95.3 and glibc 2.2.5.

mc 4.6.1 patched with either the 2007-01-04-16 or the 2007-03-09-18 patch can't move the subshell to the directory the active pane shows ("Can't change to <dir>.". A stock 4.6.1 does not have this problem.

Oh, and here's an oddity that has had me wondering for a long time: Why is it that hopping between panes with each pane on a different directory and shelling out each time without doing anything causes the prompt to bunch up when on the console, but not if you run mc via ssh? In fact, running under ssh has a different problem: If you shell out more than once in the same directory, again without doing anything, the prompt disappears and the cursor falls to the left.

Reynir H. Stefánsson (reynirhs mi is)
--
There's no need to assume evil when incompetence explains it all.