Fwd: Re: Behavior of internal search in a file has changed?

Please, keep the discussion on-list. I am forwarding your message there.

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 11:26:02 -0500 (CDT)
An: Pavel Tsekov
Betreff: Re: Behavior of internal search in a file has changed?

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 16:07:19 -0500 (CDT)

The exact sequence of commands that you issue to get
the erronous behaviour could be also helpful. Anyway, I've played with
the
viewer a bit and found out that the said behaviour is exhibited only if
you
move down by using the arrow keys. If you move down using Page Down it
works as expected.

You could well be correct about this. Let's see ...

Well, the behavior after using PageDown is that "/" used as a search does
jump backward, but not all the way to the beginning of the file. It seems
to jump back approximately to where the bottom of the screen was before
the previous PageDown.

I have also tested now with F7 used as search, and the behavior is
identical.

Are you positive about that ? Please, double check ... I do not get the
described behavior. If I hit PgDn one or more times the search starts at the begining at the currently
displayed page. Please, post a simple test file and the steps necessary to reproduce what you see.

Actually, I guess the behavior is a little bit more complicated than what
I described, but perhaps a bit more logically explainable. On checking
again, I see the following (F7 and / do not behave differently):

Go into the file, until there is a point where what you are searching is
not on the visible page (This is easy to do with a USB dump -- if there is
a section where data is being downloaded, then one sees sequentially
numbered lines each containing 16 bytes, lots of lines). Then search for
something like URB or TRANSFER. These will occur either before or after
the data block. If

a. you got to the middle of the data block only with page down,
        then you will go to the end of it with search (as things should
be)

b. you went to the point where you can see the data block at the bottom of
the screen using page down and then used the arrow key to go to the middle
of the data block,
        then you will get sent back to before the beginning of the data
block, to the place where you were when you quit using page down and
started to move with the arrow key (unsettling behavior).

I don't know what happened yesterday, but it did not look as though this
is what was happening which I describe now. I am not sure why.

Anyway, this is what is happening here now, and probably the same is
happening with you. If not, then, sure, I can send one of the files I just
tested, for example

Theodore Kilgore