Re: Mc Digest, Vol 23, Issue 6

Pavel Tsekov wrote:
On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 23:08 +0000, Reynir Stefansson wrote:
What does MC need from a shell for subshell support to work, at least in theory?

The ability to notify mc that it has finished executing a command.

I'll assume it's a signal and refer to it here as SIGBURP. And since MC can not be hacked to raise an alert box on return from shell-out before a SIGBURP (or let you know some other way), I'll have to either live with occasionally wanting to Dragu Slave the directory-hold function or patch the shell to fire SIGBURP whenever the command line empties.

I recall a case (see MC Digest v7n3 for *that* little episode) where MC wouldn't go subshell with /bin/sh. At that time /bin/sh was a link to /bin/bash. It's of course possible that bash masqueraded as sh when run as /bin/sh. I didn't look into it then. I just wanted to un-fubar the subshell.

Thought: Does the subshell *have* to be the same as the login shell? Or am I being stupid again? Both? Banner news, that.

No, the subshell can be different, but you would need to "fool" mc
because it tries to use the login shell and it checks shells by name,
not by actual functionality.

That appears to be the only easy way to do it. A config option ('login' (stays with login shell), 'auto' (if the login shell is unsuitable; looks for a known suitable shell) or '/path-to/shell' (for a specific shell)) might help - and not just shell developers.

Stray thot: Could one build a harness that goes through /etc/shells and tests each shell to see if it fires SIGBURP? Do I feel hedgehogged enough to do it myveryownself?

Reynir H. Stefánsson (reynirhs isl is)