Display problem using ssh on Suse 10.1

Hello,

I use mc quite often, and am a big fan.

I recently upgraded our environment from SuSE 9 to SuSE 10.1 using packaged YaST installs of mc.

When I ssh to one of my SuSE 10.1 boxes, I usually type mc -a to force the ascii pluses and such in the display.  I now get control codes around the frame of the mc display, I get colors, but no "lines", and the display starts to break with the text dialogs for quitting, etc.

Locally mc has no problems in a VNC session.  I use Cygwin ssh on my Windows laptop to get to the server.  mc works fine locally in Cygwin.

But when I ssh to the SuSE 10.1 remote server, I can't even get the mc -a to work without interface problems.

SuSE 9 remote servers work fine.  Cygwin/sshd remote servers work fine.  SuSE 10.1 only, has display problems.

On SuSE 10.1 it acts as if it's ignoring the -a flag

A mc -V produces this...

kittyhawk:~ # mc -V
GNU Midnight Commander 4.6.1
Virtual File System: tarfs, extfs, cpiofs, ftpfs, fish, undelfs
With builtin Editor
Using system-installed S-Lang library with terminfo database
With subshell support as default
With support for background operations
With mouse support on xterm and Linux console
With support for X11 events
With internationalization support
With multiple codepages support
kittyhawk:~ #