empty Nl column

On some systems I see numbers in this column (e.g. Mandriva), while on
others (e.g. SuSE), this column is always blank. I know links to a file
will show there, but what exactly does Nl stand for, and how to I enable
numbers to show there? There doesn't seem to be anything that covers it
in the config dropdown menu. In ini I have no idea what most settings
are for. I don't see anything on http://www.ibiblio.org/mc/FAQ either.
Mailing list search came up empty too.

TIA
--
"If you confess with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord', and believe in
your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved."

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409